So, why do you need the best survival knife? Imagine yourself losing your way in the middle of a jungle. You don’t have any food or water with you. As the icing on the cake, there are plenty of aggressive carnivores to welcome you. You have to sustain yourself anyhow until the rescue team arrives. Your presence of mind, willpower, and adequate survival resources are the only things that can get you out of the trouble.
Carrying a sharp, easy-to-deploy survival knife can help you fight away almost any obstruction you face in the wilderness. Survival knives are the most valuable assets of professional campers, hunters and soldiers. It is an all-in-one tool that helps procure your food (and cook it as well), shelter and save life in dense forests, deserted islands, and many other emergency situations. Now you must have understood why choosing a the best survival knife is so important. Hence, in this guide, my aim will be to find the best survival knife for your unique purposes.
When it comes to choosing the best survival knife, experts have varied opinions. The convenience of handling the knife is one the main determinants. The market is saturated with multitasking, technologically superior, razor-sharp, rough and tough tactical knives from the finest brands of the world, be it the multipurpose swiss army knives, machetes or skinning knives. The key is not to throttle your opinion based on the flamboyant appearance of a knife. If your requirement from the knife is limited, I’d suggest you to avoid feature-loaded knives. Having said that, the very concept of perfection is full of loopholes. Suitability varies from person to person. Operating survival knives requires a certain amount of outdoor skills, which is why it’s not meant for everyday all-round tasks. I spend most of my weekends either mountaineering or tripping along with my equally adventurous pals in a forest. A survival knife is not just a tool. Over the years I’ve developed a deep friendship with the best survival knives.
- 1 5 Best Survival Knife Reviews of Top-Rated Models
- 2 What are the uses of a survival knife?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Survival Knife
- 4 Different Types of Survival Knives
- 5 Best Bear Grylls Survival Knife Series
- 5.1 Gerber 31-001901 Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Fixed Blade
- 5.2 Gerber 31-001063 Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Fixed Blade, Fine Edge
- 5.3 Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
- 5.4 Gerber 31-00752 Bear Grylls Survival Series, Folding Sheath Knife
- 5.5 Gerber 31-002530 Bear Grylls Survival AO
- 6 The Best Military Survival Knives
- 7 Ontario Air Force Survival Knives
- 8 The Best Rambo Survival Knife Series
- 9 Wrapping Up the Best Survival Knife Chaos
5 Best Survival Knife Reviews of Top-Rated Models
|Knife Model:||Blade Material:||Price:||Our Rating:|
|Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife Fixed Blade Knife, Kraton Handle||Laminated VG-10 Steel||$$$||5|
|Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife||1095 Cro-Van Steel||$$||4.8|
|ESEE 6P-B Plain Edge Fixed Blade Survival Knife with Grey Micarta Handle||1095 Steel||$$||4.5|
|Schrade SCHF2 Extreme Survival Steel Special Forces Fixed Blade Knife||SAE 1070 High Carbon Steel||$||4.4|
|Genuine Gurkha Aeof Kukri - 11" Authentic British Gurkha Afghan Issue Khukuri||Highly Grated Carbon Steel||$||4.2|
Bestseller is an over-hyped tag. It doesn’t determine the quality of the product. The best survival knives I’ve chosen to review in this section have proved their metal through consistently top-class performance, excellent resistance against rust, extreme weather and nicks & cuts. Each product is in a league of its own and has set a benchmark for the knife-makers all over the globe. I’ve been fortunate enough to use all the 5 models personally. The serial numbers mentioned below don’t indicate the ranking. Each product has a novelty and its own share of pros and cons. So, without further ado, below are the top 5 best survival knife reviews:
Fallkniven A1 Survival Knife
Looking for a knife that can stand strong in the most punishing conditions? If you’re willing to be liberal in expenditure to get the best in the business, Fallkniven A1 is the answer for you. This ultra-strong, outstanding survival tool, manufactured by the premium Swedish manufacturer of military knives, Fallkniven, has a laminated, fine edge VG-10, 6.38 inches long blade with an ideal 0.24 inches thickness. This full tang survival knife knife with an attached Kraton handle is crafted to perform detailed tasks like prying, firewood process, sawing like a pro. This is the reason why the Fallkniven A1 is considered as the best survival knife by countless knife aficionados. You can read our detailed review of the Fallkniven A1 to know more about its features.
What we like
- Drop point blade and a plain blade edge for accuracy and precision, putting this among the best survival knives.
- Solid balance for a sturdy knife that will hold up under nearly any conditions.
- Ergonomic grip to ensure a good hold on this quality knife.
- Study sheath clips to belt or backpack, and even works upside down.
- Water repellent, and works in both extreme heat and extreme cold.
What we don’t like
- Some people have experienced the knife blade chipping during chopping.
- Heat treat issues can cause the knife to crack in some cases.
- The shorter blade may not be ideal for all the survival tasks a person wants to perform with their survival knife.
- Some people have experienced difficulties getting the company to honor the warranty.
Despite a few bad reviews, the vast majority of people who own this knife seem to love it. The quality is good, and grip is rubbery and strong, and the knife is made to be stored and used easily. With that in mind, this knife makes an excellent addition to any survival gear you may already have, or a good start if you are just beginning to put together a survival gear package. With a sturdy knife like this one, you can be prepared for nearly anything your camping trip or survival mission throws your way. From prepping to hiking to other types of activities, this best survival knife will be ready when you need it, and will give you years of good service so you can feel prepared.
Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Companion
The Bk2 companion is your true companion in life and death situations where nothing else can rescue you except a sharp mind and an equally sharp survival knife. The key component of this amazing model from the famous Ka-Bar is its 1095 Crovan steel. Be it cutting through the bone, dicing fruits and veggies or skinning big animals, nothing is impossible for this rugged, tough, 5.5 inches solid steel blade. The steel is rust-proof and retains its shape even in extreme humid weather. It comes to your pocket for a fairly reasonable price and offers a lifetime warranty on the blade too. Read our full review of this knife here. This is why the Ka-Bar deserves a place in your tactical backpack!
What we like
- Heavy duty best survival knife with full tang for quality, strength, and durability.
- Suited for even significantly difficult or heavier camping chores.
- Made in the USA by Ka-Bar knives and designed by Ethan Becker.
- Comes with a nylon sheath that is hard-shell and very durable.
What we don’t like
- One of the best survival knifes that can be bigger and more cumbersome for people with smaller hands.
- The sheath does not always hold up well in comparison to other sheath options.
- Weighty when compared with some other knives of similar size and shape.
- Not sharpened out of the box, and sharpening it can take significant time and effort.
Overall, there are mixed reviews on this particular best survival knife. Many people love it because of its durability and how it can handle heavy duty tasks, but others feel it is too heavy for most general applications. Instead, they would prefer something that is easier to pack and does not weigh them down as much. Carrying a lighter knife has been recommended by some who bought this knife, so if you are looking for something light and easy to handle this knife may not be for you. Ka-Bar is a quality brand, and if you need a hard-shell sheath and a heavier style of camping or survival knife, this may be the right choice for your particular situation. If you are anticipating a lighter need, a knife that weighs less and is smaller in size could be a better option based on how you will be using your best survival knife.
ESEE-6 Plain Black Blade survival knife
For the ardent lovers of the wild, the ESEE-6 comes as a blessing. This true-blue-gorgeous Black blade is a perfect addition to your arsenal when you’re gearing yourself up for an adventurous weekend in the foothills of Andes or in the mysterious lush of Daintree forest. Black blade is admired by survivalists for its unique 0.188 inches thick, 6.5 inches long carbon steel blade which helps you conquer the deadly wildlife or merciless climate without debilitating. The 11.8 ounces frame swiftly fits in your grip. Need to fix gears, cut open twigs and branches of the tree? Sure thing.
What we like
- Esee has a very strong reputation for making the best survival knives.
- The company stands by its warranty more strongly than many other survival knife makers.
- Comes with a black, molded polymer sheath that holds up well to the elements.
- There is increased thumb grip from the jimping on the spine of this best survival knife.
- The rounded pommel features a lanyard hole for ease and convenience.
What we don’t like
- Some people have had concerns about the quality of the sheath with this best survival knife.
- A blocmira ky handle can make it more difficult for some people to grip this knife solidly.
- There may be discomfort from this knife due to a lack of good balance in the blade.
- Returns may be difficult for this knife based on customer service complaints.
When you need a quality survival knife that has plenty to offer, many people recommend Esee. It is one of the top brands to consider, although not everyone loves it as much as the next person. Like other knives, it is a matter of personal preference whether this is the right knife for you and your needs. Some people love the balance and grip, while others feel the knife is blocky and unbalanced. What you are looking for in the best survival knives will have a strong effect on whether this is the right survival knife for you. If you want a quality brand that generally holds up well, and a company that will stand by its warranty, than Esee could be just what you are looking for to get the best survival knife.
Gurkha Kukri survival knife
Gurkha Kukri is a synthesis of the best features of a regular life, a machinate and a tomahawk. Driving the blade through the skin of the carcass, cleaning small games, chopping woods or permeating thick bushes-there’s a long list of tasks it accomplishes with speed and accuracy. The oversize is a little on the negative side albeit, I couldn’t still help mentioning it as one of my all-time favorites.
What we like
- Highly polished blade with a sharp edge right out of the box.
- A rat tail tang that works well for outdoor work of the heavy duty variety.
- Comes with a sheath and two utility knives that are small and lightweight, but durable.
- Made from carbon steel so it is easy to sharpen and keep sharp, no matter what the task.
- Hand forged with traditional materials and tools to provide a quality survival knife to rely on.
What we don’t like
- Some have questioned the quality of the construction for the knife’s price.
- The sheath and belt loop do not always hold up as well as would be expected.
- The handle of this best survival knife may chip or crack near the pommel, even with lighter usage.
- There are sharp edges on the butt cap which could cut a person’s hand.
This is a more unique option than many of the best survival knives you will find. It is hand forged, which is not that common, but there is a tradition behind this knife that you do not get just anywhere. Additionally, the fact that is it sharpened right out of the box makes it a good choice. Some knives have to be sharpened as soon as you get them, and that can be annoying and frustrating. Rather than deal with that, you can get a knife that is ready to use right away. Lightweight for its size and what it has to offer, this knife is one that can have you ready in nearly any survival or camping situation.
Schrade SCHF2 Chris Reeve-inspired Survival Knife
Any Chris Reeve-inspired model is an asset for any knife lover. The unparalleled combination of CR legacy and modern technology has brought to you a powerful combating tool with a slightly serrated 7 inches long edge blade. Albeit the massive length of the blade increases the bulk of the equipment, making it a bit tough of the novices to deploy, as you gain experience, you’ll get used to the bulk. Suitable for splitting logs into sections, tearing apart animal skin and batoning.
What we like
- Matte finish, carbon steel blade for quality and durability of this best survival knife.
- Hollow handle end cap with a lanyard and removable bit set.
- Multiple position carry belt sheath with removable lanyard and storage pouch.
- A long blade and a grip that fits the hand with a high level of balance.
What we don’t like
- The case may not live up to the quality of the best survival knife it holds.
- Some knives have been reported to be bent near the hilt.
- May be too big for some smaller hands to comfortably hold.
- Can be too heavy for some people to comfortably carry in a backpack.
With this particular survival knife, you are going to get the quality and value you want and expect, at a price you can really appreciate. Not all knives you find in the survival section are going to give you this level of durability, so it is important to get the knife that is going to meet your needs on a consistent basis. The stylish look of this knife also matters, as you can really appreciate the way the knife performs. When you want the best survival knife, you want to choose something that is really going to get the job done, and you can find that value with this Schrade option. With a reputation for quality and value, Schrade is a company that will stand by its products and provide some of the best survival knives available. You can trust this knife to see you through on your next outing.
What are the uses of a survival knife?
An ordinary knife isn’t fit enough to face the rough challenges Mother Nature puts up in front of you. There are many instances in which I’ve seen people coming out of a far-away island or the forest of amazon alive even after losing the direction. Their breathtaking stories are still fresh in my memory. Into the wild, without your GPS system, cellphone, gun or food, you’re just as helpless as a kid without its mother. A versatile weapon like survival knife attached can alone boost your confidence to fight against the odds.
As a Woodcutter
A good survival knife is something no woodcutter should be without. Flat, long handle knives are a worthy replacement of axe or hatchet. When it comes to splitting solid wood, cutting thickets or saplings, it can be a reliable gear. This technique is also known as batoning. You can use a piece of wood as millet, place the knife over it and pound the back of the knife with a solid wooden stick to cut the wood. Apply the same method to divide logs into several sections. Seasoned campers possess a sort of spidey-sense which helps them detect dry firewood instinctively. Create your DIY fireplace in the jungle to keep cold and fierce animals away.
Lighting the Fire
The primitive technique of fire-making is fascinating for any camper. Although it requires a certain amount of precision over the method, if you manage to master the art, making super-hot sparks even in damp weather won’t be tough. A survival knife allows you to produce tinder from the bark or branch of a tree. Housing a Ferro rod along with Vaseline soaked cotton balls is a way better option than packing a regular lighter. The flatter has the risk of running out of fuel. To create a 3 inches high spark for continuous 2 minutes, use your knife to strike the rod rigorously until it produces tinder. Without fire, it’s almost impossible for anyone to sustain his life in the wilderness or in the cold foothills of a mountain without fire. No wonder why the invention of fire marked the dawn of civilization.
In ancient times, the one-stop solution of almost any problem was fighting duel. Hanging a fixed-blade knife on the belt was a ritual every man followed. In the pre-historic era, men learnt to hunt down animals for their flesh and skin. The use of knife as a survival or hunting weapon hasn’t diminished with the advent of more action-specific tools. In unfavourable conditions, a survival knife empowers you to collect your own food, process them and even cook them in fire. Catching fish with knives instantly reminds us of Survival guru Bear Grylls.
In case you’ve forgotten to pack your metal shovel in hurry, a big fixed-blade knife can perform the task of digging on behalf on it with equal efficiency. If handled with ingenuity, you can dig fire pits, carve out a hole for disposing faeces, dig up worms or edible tubers and etch distress signal on the ground to grab the attention of a rescue helicopter.
How to Choose the Best Survival Knife
Disaster never gives you a phone call before bursting in. Despite the overwhelming progress of science and technology, satellite communication, medical science, nature has always proved that we are nothing but mere helpless mortals in front of her wrath. During the devastating Tsunami of 2004, thousands of people were drifted away to obscure islands by the massive force of sea-waves. We all have heard about the successful survival stories of some brave-hearts who managed to conquer inevitable death. How did they do it? Were they just plain lucky? Definitely not, survival in an unexpected life and death situations requires immense nerve strength, experience, courage and some basic survival resources. Survival tools, at a minimum, have to ergonomically sound and accessible. Below, I’ve listed some key features you must look for in your survival knife.
Size and Thickness
Well, when it comes to choose the best survival knives, size does matter. Large, bulky blades are not desirable for survival needs. It not only makes it very difficult to handle but also restricts its ability to perform intricate tasks. On the other hand, small blades as well have its share of perks. You can’t effectively use small blades for demanding tasks like hammering or batoning. Models with around 9 to 10 inches blade length are considered ideal by the experts. Blades below 6 inches or above 11 inches should be avoided. Blades with 4/16 thickness is perfect for strenuous jobs like splitting woods.
The heart and soul of any tool is its material. Corrosion-free, stainless steel is a widely used material for making the best survival knives. The only drawback of stainless steel is low edge retention power. On the contrary, a carbon steel blade stays razor-sharp for ages. While choosing the a useful survival knife to house in your ultimate survival kit, make sure the knife is full tang. Full tang knives are far superior to partial tang or rat-tail tang blades. Being made of one single, solid piece of metal, full tangs are capable of performing heavy-duty tasks like batoning, prying, digging with ease.
A slippery grip can call for more danger than the ones you’re already facing. You need a firm grip on the knife to accomplish precision. Polymer, hard-rubber are non-slip materials, which is why handles composed for these materials provide comfortable grip.in full tang knives, the tang has to be attached to the handle portion. Long tangs make for highly durable, robust survival knives.
Sharp Pointed Tip
A sharp pointed tip is mandatory for stabbing thick furred animals or hooking fishes. A spear-pointed survival knife deployed for self-defense purposes. In a similar way, cleaning the fishes, repairing gears, digging worms for bait is also easier with spear-pointed tips than with angled or hooked tips.
The bottom or butt of the knife handle is known as pommel. It is commonly used for hammering, batoning or pounding heavy materials. I typically use the pommel to pound shelter stakes. Many people choose to overlook it but a solid pommel really adds to the functionality of the knife. When you need to crush ice, put the tip of the blade on the ice surface, beat the pommel hard continuously with a wooden stick to drive the blade through it.
Different Types of Survival Knives
For a better and more informed understanding of the different application of survival knives, I’ve classified it into 5 categories. The classification is mainly based upon two criteria- design and functionality.
The Best Fixed Blade Knives
Wildlife always puts your physical and mental strength to the ultimate test. One wrong move and your game is over. Choosing only the well-tested and tried tools to prepare your survival kit is the first step towards success. Fixed blade knives will always get preference over folded survival knives for good many reasons. First and foremost, a fixed blade is way more capable of taking high-stress than its other counterpart. Speed is another advantage. You can go on chopping tomatoes, slicing fresh meat with accuracy, wipe it off and put it back in the sheath-all in just a matter of minutes. Here are my top picks for the category of best fixed blade knives:
Buck 65 Hood Punk
Buck is the king of knife-making since, I don’t even know when. There’s a huge fan base of Buck knives around the world and rightly so. The iconic powder coated, 5.62 inches 5160 steel blade is incorporated into a feather-light 7.04 oz. frame, making it an excellent multipurpose tool for professionals and amateurs alike. Buck 65 also features a multi function MOLLE compatible nylon sheath. The 11 inches length of the knives allows easy, efficient maneuvering. The added deep finger groove maximizes the safety. Hence, it’s considered as one of the best survival knife out there. All in all, it’s quite suitable for outdoor activities.
What we like
- A lifetime warranty so you can rely on your survival knife for a long time to come.
- Good for a variety of uses in the outdoors, whether camping or doing something else.
- Built with the quality and precision you would come to expect from Buck.
- The finger guard and groove are deep, to promote safe usage of this knife.
- The MOLLE compatible nylon sheath has a convenient from storage pouch.
- This best survival knife is ultra light and weighs only a few ounces.
What we don’t like
- The handle scales are sharp if squeezed too hard by the user.
- The sheath may not hold up as well as would be expected for a knife of this quality.
Finding the best survival knives that add plenty of quality and value to your survival or camping experience is not always easy, but there are some options for the best survival knives that will really help you get what you need. With this particular Buck knife, you can expect the value that comes with an established knife brand. All Buck knives have a reputation for a high level of quality, and this particular survival knife is no exception. It gives the user a well-crafted and well-balanced knife experience, allowing you to use it the right way every time. You can expect it to be durable, too, so you can rely on it through all of your adventures. You will never need to settle for less than a survival knife that can offer you reliability, because that equals peace of mind, too.
Ka-Bar Becker 22
When it comes to building knife for survival in adverse situations, Ka-Bar is the gold standard. The Ka-Bar 22 is the ultimate survival kit for real-life action heroes. It weights around 14.6 ounces and the non-slip grip provides excellent control over the 5.25 inches long 1095 Crovan steel is. The solid glass breaker pommel and heavy-duty frame are included among the other highlights. It is the perfect choice for rescue and hunting applications in the wild.
What we like
- This 100% synthetic best survival knife is important and brings quality and durability.
- The military branches and service members all use this strong, great knife.
- This works well for outdoor services, and also for knife collectors of all types.
- Comes with a polyester sheath that has a front pouch for storage and ease of use.
- The overall length of this knife gives it a good balance and heft with comfort.
What we don’t like
- Can be more effective as a small ax than an actual knife for camping and hiking.
- Can be overkill if all you want is a small knife to do the job.
- The handle can be slippery and slick, especially when it gets damp or wet.
- The sheath does not always fit the knife or the handle correctly.
Ka-Bar has a reputation for offering some of the best survival knives at the right price, and this Becker option is no exception. There are many reasons to choose this brand, and quality is only part of the equation. You will get a durable knife you can rely on, with stylish good looks you can appreciate. Storing this knife is easy, and since it is light and nimble for its size you can move it around easily and use it the way it is intended with little effort. Whether you need a true survival knife or you are just looking to do some camping, you have options you can enjoy with this. It is one of the best survival knives you could choose, and a good option for all of the adventurous times you have planned in the future. Having a good knife in your survival kit can make all the difference.
Gerber LMF II Infantry Knife
Gerber survival knives have been rocking the market since I’ve known about them. The 420 HC solid, stainless steel is the biggest highlight of the model. The insulated hand grip ensures maximum protection of your hand from potential injuries while cutting live wire. The super-sharp blade has partial serration which easily increases the application of the knife. Break heavy materials such as firewood, split logs without any hassle with the help of its heavy-duty glass breaker/pommel.
What we like
- Field tested with American troops and engineered with them in mind.
- MOLLE compatible and rugged, with a versatile feel.
- Offers a partially serrated edge so you get the best of both worlds with this best survival knife.
- Can also be used as a spear or pommel for those moments when you need something more.
- Ballistic nylon sheath with flame retardant and a blade sharpener built right in.
- A break between the butt cap and tang, providing protection against shock from hammering.
What we don’t like
- On some knives the handle can be loose.
- The grip is soft and can feel somewhat sticky.
There is not really much that is better than an infantry knife when you want a solid survival knife you can rely on. Gerber also has a reputation for quality and value, so you can trust that you are getting the best survival knife you can rely on. With a solid style and a nimble balance, this knife is one you can appreciate. It offers just the right size and design, giving you the chance to focus on what you need the knife for, when you need it. Whether you are a hard-core camper or you are just starting out, you will want a knife you can appreciate, and one that will be there for you when you have to use it. This could be the best survival knife you will own, and Gerber cares about their customers with good service and a warranty on this knife.
Schrade Extreme Survival Knife
The Schrade model is one of the best survival knife, is known for its smart ergonomic design and diverse applications. The 12” knife easily fits in your palm and allows smooth maneuvering for demanding tasks. It integrates a powerful 1095 carbon steel construction with a durable 6.4” blade. The razor-sharp blade stands strong in the most extreme conditions without fraying. The pommel greatly multiplies the pounding capacity of the knife. The pointed tip is effective for performing detailed jobs like opening cans, prying or digging.
What we like
- Works well for both professional and recreational level uses.
- High carbon steel blade with drop point to provide strong usage and durability.
- Comes with removable storage pouch and a lanyard to carry your best survival knife with you easily.
- The handle slabs are ring textured to all for a strong grip and safe use.
What we don’t like
- The rubber handle may not cover the steel adequately enough for some users.
- The sheath can break more easily than expected and the warranty can be short (30 days).
- Hard to sharpen, and the blade can chip and scratch more easily than expected.
A survival knife should be well-balanced, sharp, and ready to go whenever you are. You can get those qualities and more with this particular option from Schrade. It offers a high-quality blade, a grip that is strong and comfortable, and a knife that is going to be sharp and durable. Cut, chop, and do all kinds of other things with this knife, and it will hold up. Ranked among the best survival knives out there on the market today, you can use this knife for all of your camping chores and survival needs without worry that it cannot take the punishment. If you damage this knife it has a warranty, too, so you can work with the company to get a satisfactory resolution to your concerns. Schrade wants you to be happy with the best survival knives you have chosen for the long term.
Tom Brown Tracker
The Tom brown master survival tool is crafted to perfection for those who never compromise with the quality. The large size (11.9”) of the knife, quite unbelievably, doesn’t restrict the application of the model. Rather, it provides accuracy and mind-blowing speed for light chopping works, processing firewood, slicing rope and other materials. Definitely deserves a place in your ultimate survival kit!
What we like
- Kydex sheath offering strength and durability for the long term.
- The gray micarta handle offers a quality grip experience for knife enthusiasts.
- Solid and durable, with a heavy, weighted balance that allows for strong usage.
- Easy to swing and can be used as a knife or a lightweight ax.
- Spine teeth for notching, so you can cut through things more easily.
What we don’t like
- Can rust more easily than some knives.
- Heavier than expected, and may be too heavy for some users’ comfort level.
- Can be cumbersome for people who are not used to a knife of this size and weight.
- May be too large to carry in a backpack or on other types of hikes and adventures.
The Tom Brown Tracker is among the best survival knives to use on all of your camping trips and other adventures. You can trust it to see you through when you need it most, so you will be able to get through whatever project you have to tackle. Whether you are chopping wood, cutting rope, or doing something else that requires a sharp blade, this knife will give you what you need. While not perfect for everyone, the Tracker is an excellent survival knife choice for most people, who appreciate its sharp edge and good balance. The grip is strong, as well, and comfortable for the majority of hands to hold. A knife needs to be safe, solid, and reliable, and this particular knife delivers well in all of those areas and more.
Best Bear Grylls Survival Knife Series
Bear Grylls’ unflinching fame as a survivalist in the popular TV show Man v/s. Wild didn’t go unnoticed by the legendary American fine edge knife makers Gerber. In 2010, the icon of billions used a Gerber survival knife in one of he episodes of his show. Launching a product line that carries the legacy of Bear Grylls and amazing product design of Gerber was albeit a shrewd business strategy. Gerber Bear Grylls survival knives put together a wide range of features like stainless steel pommel, built-in diamond tool, rapid deployment along with reliability and amazing warranty. To top it all, the products have been priced daintily, making it an irresistible choice of Grylls’ fans.
Gerber 31-001901 Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Fixed Blade
Gerber 31-001901 is the watermark of Gerber Bear Grylls ultimate survival series knives. A premium stainless steel has been integrated with Gerber’s superior q2uality full tang construction. Deploying the blade is a cake walk, thanks to the carbide pull through sharpener (one of the best knife sharpeners out there) attached to the frame. At the bottom of the knife, here is a ferrocium fire starter that helps you create high flames anywhere, even in damp weather conditions. Moreover, a whistle has been added to create help signals, making you’re your survival scenario a tad less tricky.
What we like
- Full tang construction for quality and durability under adverse conditions.
- An upgraded whistle to add to the value of this great survival knife.
- A carbide, pull-through sharpener so you can make sure you knife is always ready.
- A pocket guide on survival priorities to make your next adventure safe and more fun.
- Gerber warranties their knives to help protect the user if the knife fails.
What we don’t like
- This knife does not come with a sheath to protect it, so damage could be more common.
- It may be too heavy for some people to use or carry around comfortably.
- Those with smaller hands can struggle to grip this knife with comfort and ease.
This particular Gerber knife has what you need when it comes to quality and value for the money spent. You can expect Gerber to live up to its reputation as a maker of the best survival knives, and one that is priced right for the amateur or professional when it comes to camping and other survival issues. Whether you love to camp and have been doing it for years, or you just got started and you want to see what all the excitement is about, you can enjoy and appreciate everything this knife has to offer. It could be the best survival knife you ever own, and Gerber will back it up with a warranty if anything happens to your knife during normal usage. The durability of your survival knife is important, and Gerber understands how much that can matter.
Gerber 31-001063 Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife, Fixed Blade, Fine Edge
This tough and meaty survival knife bearing the name of Bear (all puns intended) eases out you journey in the wilderness by enhancing your touted outdoor skills. The texturized, no-slip rubber handle provides perfect control over the high carbons tainless, drop point steel blade. This wilderness survival knife is packaged inside a nylon and hard rubber sheath that can be worn both horizontally and vertically. You will get a portable diamond sharpener for quick and easy sharpening, an emergency whistle and comprehensible survival knife absolutely free with the product!
What we like
- High carbon steel blade for durability with this quality survival knife.
- A fine edge and drop point, so you can get the precision you need.
- A diamond knife sharpener, so you always have your knife ready for action.
- A rubber handle that is textured, along with a durable rubber sheath.
- A survival guide that addresses the most important priorities to protect you.
What we don’t like
- The fixed blade can break during the batoning of wood.
- Metal cylinder for the fire starter may pop out of the handle.
The fixed blade and fine edge of this particular Gerber knife makes it the right choice if you are looking for a survival knife that can basically do it all. It offers a quality and value that is hard to beat, from a company that can be trusted and has a long reputation for providing knives and other items you can rely on. Even if you have tried other knives in the past, this one is worth looking into. It can work for the experienced camper and also for someone who is new to a more adventurous lifestyle. No matter what kinds of camping you do, this knife should be up to the task. Its durability and strength is notable, and it has a good grip and balance that makes it easier to use than some of the other survival knives in its class.
Gerber 31-000751 Bear Grylls Survival Series Ultimate Knife, Serrated Edge
A serrated edge knife makes tricky jobs like slicing ropes, splitting woods and chopping hard man-made materials like plastic a few steps easier for you. The Gerber 31-00051 series knife has a one half serrated high carbon stainless steel, drop point, ultra sharp blade. The glass break coated blade is ideal for edge retention for years. The model is both ergonomically and economically sound. Hence, it’s considered by many as the survival knife which has a serrated edge. A must have for the toughest action maniacs out there!
What we like
- Carbon stainless steel with a drop point blade, for cutting rope and edge retention.
- Textured rubber grip with an ergonomic design for comfort.
- A stainless steel pommel at the base of the handle, ideal for hammering.
- A fire starter incorporated, with a notch in the back of the knife’s blade.
- Lightweight, mildew resistant nylon sheath is military grade.
What we don’t like
- The pommel may come loose from the handle on this knife, as it is not built into the tang.
- Knife can rust in some cases, and some reports breakage after only minimal use.
- The serrated edge shows wear and tear quickly, even when sawing soft woods.
The serrated edge of this survival knife makes it a good choice for sawing motions. That is a frequent need when camping, because it helps you cut back branches, work your way through ropes, and perform other tasks. Having just one of the best survival knives as your only option might not be enough, depending on what type of camping you are doing and how much you are roughing it in the woods. Adding a knife like this one to your arsenal can make everything better, and that serration has a lot of value when you really need it. Gerber stands by their knives, as well, and the durability and quality you will get with this knife can make your adventure an easier and more enjoyable one in a lot of ways.
Gerber 31-00752 Bear Grylls Survival Series, Folding Sheath Knife
The phenomenal collaboration of survival expert Bear Grylls and leading knife manufacturer Gerber brought a series of survival gears endowed with state-of-the-art design and latest technology. Gerber 31-00752 has a 3.60” partially serrated blade that brilliantly multiplies its applications. Its integrated dual-sided thumb stud allows swift deployment and textured, rubberized handle provides optimum firm grip.
What we like
- Dual thumb studs make it very easy to deploy this knife’s blade with one hand.
- The fine edge is good for multiple survival use applications in many types of conditions.
- The lock back structure allows for safe storage and safe usage.
- The textured rubber handle makes for a secure grip on this knife, no matter what the conditions.
- Comes with a sturdy cloth sheath and a lanyard hole tie down for durability and security.
What we don’t like
- The rubber handle can be cut or damaged in some cases.
- This knife may be heavier than expected, making it cumbersome for some people.
- Smaller hands can have trouble using this knife effectively.
If you want one of the best survival knives and you want to be able to fold it up so you can store it more easily, this Gerber folding sheath knife can be just what you are looking for. Since it folds and stores it takes up less space, but you can also access it quickly and easily whenever you need it. The locking mechanism on it is strong and sturdy, so you will not have to worry about it folding up unexpectedly, or not being able to handle what you need it to do on your camping trip or other adventure. The more you use this knife the more comfortable it feels in your hand, and you really appreciate everything it has to offer. With a strong grip and good balance, this knife is one that is easy to use and easy to appreciate, no matter what the task.
Gerber 31-002530 Bear Grylls Survival AO
One of the finest examples of Bear Grylls survival series knives, Gerber 31-002530 has an unmatchable ergonomic design and an attached opening blade for quick, one-touch deployment. The use of Gerber’s FAST 2.0 technology for full-proof protection against cuts is a major highlight of the product. In addition, there is a safety barrel lock that keeps the blade folded when housed in the pocket.
What we like
- Dual thumb studs and plunge lock with a spring assisted opening make for easy access.
- The blade is half serrated, with a drop point for precision and accuracy.
- The pocket clip and lanyard hole make storing this great knife easier.
- The molded handle has rubber over top to make for an easier, better grip.
- Weighing just over three ounces, this knife is light enough for nearly anyone to use.
What we don’t like
- Some people will want a heavier, solider knife than what this has to offer.
- The screws holding the knife together can come loose and the knife can come apart.
- The blade chips easily, even when performing everyday tasks like cutting cardboard or rope.
- The knife can jam and not open properly, even with the spring assist.
This particular option is one of the best survival knives you can choose. It has the strength and durability you are looking for in a survival knife, but it also has a good balance and a strong grip that is easy to handle and maneuver. It is not heavy for its size, overall, making it easier to use and easier to store on your travels. For the new camper or someone who has a lot of experience out in the wilderness, this knife can be the right choice. Gerber has a warranty, as well, and backs up the knives it sells, so you do not have to worry about anything if your knife ever breaks or becomes damaged. With such a durable knife this should not be an issue, but if there is ever a problem you can have peace of mind that Gerber will take care of it for you.
The Best Military Survival Knives
Military combat knives aren’t alien to you if you’re a hardcore gamer and spend your life playing IGI or Call of Duty. Military range of knives not only serves to men and women in the army, they have myriads of civilian uses as well. These razor sharp, sleek models are an ideal addition to your arsenal to combat challenging situations, hunting and fighting purposes. This type of tools has a target consumer group, mainly comprising adventure sports enthusiasts, solders, hikers and campers. The saw teeth blade is a primary feature of such knives. The solid, durable construction is capable of taking extreme work load. Here’s my pick for the top 5 military survival knives of 2017:
SOG E37T-K Seal Pup Elite
SOG’s platinum standard SOG E37T-K Seal Pup Elite is he latest kid on h block. The speciality of the knife is its 4.85” long, fixed blade, partially serrated AUS-8 steel blade. The blade has a cool clip point shape and a stellar TiNi finish. It also incorporates deeper finger grooves and spine rasp for swift notching and comfortable thumb placement. The quirky shape of the blade makes for quick sharpening, easy deployment, allowing the blade to perform heavy-duty, stressful jobs with accuracy.
What we like
- Ergonomic handle with deep finger grooves for increased grip and comfort.
- A longer cutting edge and new blade shape means more ease of use.
- Blade spine rasp helps with filing, notching, and thumb placement.
- Handle is made from nylon reinforced with glass for strength and durability.
- Limited lifetime warranty and a Kydex sheath complete this best survival knife package.
What we don’t like
- The sheath is overly tight for the knife and the sheath snaps may break with little use.
- Not sharp out of the box, and poor edge retention when sharpened.
- Salt air can cause the edge of the blade to rust, damaging the knife’s usability.
Having the best survival knives with you on your camping trip or other adventure can mean that you have what you need to be safe and secure throughout all your wanderings. From the novice camper to someone with real-world wilderness survival experience, this knife is a great choice for anyone who wants to make sure they have what they need to get through their next outing. The balance of this knife is part of what sets it apart and ranks it among the best survival knives available today. It also offers a strong grip and a sharp blade that can be relied upon, with a durability you can appreciate right out of the box. You can trust this knife to get you through, no matter what kind of camping or survival task you have for it.
SOG Seal Knife 2000
The Seal product line of SOG offers multiple styles and sizes of military knives. SOG Seal Knife 2000, specially designed for the Navy Seals, has a 7”, powder coated, part-serrated AUS-8 stainless blade featuring a longer cutting edge. It has a contoured black handle for superior hand grip with a lanyard hole attached to it. The model is housed in a hard SOG nylon sheath.
What we like
- Durable and sharp for good usage as a tactical survival knife.
- Handle is glass reinforced nylon and offers texturing and finger grooves.
- Includes sheath with a belt attachment, along with a lanyard.
- The limited lifetime warranty will help protect you if the knife should fail.
- This knife undergoes rigorous testing to ensure its highest level of quality and offer you the best survival knife.
What we don’t like
- Quality issues have been a subject of several reviews of this particular knife.
- The knife can be too heavy for some people to carry comfortably.
- Smaller hands may not like the grip on this knife, and may struggle to carry it easily.
With the SOG Seal Knife 2000, you may have the best survival knife you can get. Depending on exactly how you plan to use this knife and what you want to get out of it, there are few knives that will work better for your needs. Overall, this is a great knife that provides good balance and a high level of quality for the money. You can expect this knife to deliver on the promises it makes, and you can also expect it to give you the quality experience you want and deserve from your knife on your next outing or adventure. The strong grip and high-end blade this knife has means you will not have to worry about damage to it as you make your way through the woods and get involved in all of your camping tasks.
SOG TS02-N Tsunami
SOG Tsunami fixed blade knife redefines urban survival. Finger grooves in the cross guards, durable TiNi coating, premium Tsunami blade integrated with a slip-proof diamond checkered handle are the most iconic features of the Tsunami series survival knives. It comes carefully covered with a MOLLE nylon sheath. SOG TS02-N Tsunami is one of my all time favorite trekking buddy. Order yours today if sounds like your thing.
What we like
- Tanto knife with a fixed blade for ease of use.
- Stainless steel blade with Ti-Ni coating to protect it and offer durability.
- Stainless steel cross guard and Kraton rubber handle for proper grip.
- Comes with a nylon MOLLE sheath for additional value.
- Heavy weighted knife to ensure the strength you need in any survival situation.
What we don’t like
- Too much forward weight may make it into a balance issue for some people.
- This knife weighs a lot, and may be uncomfortable to some users who want a lighter option.
- As a longer knife, this can be harder to store easily in a backpack or other location.
The Tsunami is one of the best survival knives you can choose from, for a lot of reasons. The main reason is durability, because it is hard to find a knife that you can rely on more than this one. With the quality you have come to expect from SOG and the value you can get in this particular knife, you can feel confident that you are getting just what you need to make your survival or camping experience complete. While you may not have everything you need in your pack and most people forget something for their trip, do not forget this knife. It will help you get through the brush, cut rope, create firewood, and whatever else you may need a knife to do. That can give you not only as easier trip, but also the peace of mind that comes with the right gear.
SOG S241-L NW Ranger
SOG S241-L NW Ranger tactile knives are admired by outdoor sports freaks, trekkers, hunters and hikers across the world, for all the good reasons. This portable, stylish model has a 5.2” straight edge blade that can tolerate stress without buckling. Releasing the blade is super-simple due to the elongated clip point mated with the blade. An ideal multipurpose tool to help you fight adversities when you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere.
What we like
- Great knife for both hunting and camping needs, so you have some options for use.
- Stainless steel, Ti-Ni coated blade, providing durability and a great look.
- Molded handle with a Kraton rubber overlay, and a removable diamond sharpener.
- Comes with a leather sheath so you can store this knife and protect it safely.
What we don’t like
- The sheath is not the best quality, but it does the job of storing the knife.
- The knife may be too heavy or weighed for some people, or those with smaller hands.
Finding the right option in all the survival knives available today is not always easy, and there are plenty of these knives out there that are actually good quality and that have a lot of value. But you want the knife that is right for you, and the SOG S241-L NW Ranger may be just the thing you need. Whether you are an experienced camper with plenty of adventures under your belt, or you are headed out on your first trip away from a city, this knife can provide you with what you need to be successful and safe. It has a strong grip, a quality blade, and good balance, all of which you need in a survival knife. It is also very durable, so you can rely on this knife and not worry about whether it will perform for you when you actually need it most.
SOG AG02-L Agency
This feature-rich, limited edition product range of SOG AG02-L Agency is a highly sought after model by every knife enthusiast and collector. Exclusively crafted for combating, hunting and clearing carcass, SOG AG02-L Agency with its 7.5 inches, racy, fine edge blade is one of a kind in this highly competitive market. The fixed, AUS-8 steel blade has a clip point for one-hand puncture upon insertion and excellent performance.
What we like
- This fixed blade knife is a limited edition option with a traditional look and feel.
- The handle is made from leather washers with epoxy filling to be comfortable.
- A black leather sheath and sharpening stone comes with this great survival knife.
- The company offers a limited lifetime warranty to protect your knife and investment.
What we don’t like
- Knife is thin at the hilt and can be bent with only medium force.
- Would be better for a collector than for actual usage in a survival situation.
- Coating comes off easily with only normal use.
- The best thing about the knife is the look, but it is more of a display piece.
The Agency is another good SOG knife to consider if you are trying to determine which of the best survival knives to choose from on your next camping adventure. You may have other options, and you may own other knives, but this one is well worth considering. It has a durability and quality that you would expect from SOG, but it also has an excellent balance and grip that not all knives possess. If you want something you can really rely on and that you will not have to worry about, this could be the knife for your particular adventure needs. You can also expect a warranty and good customer service, so if something goes wrong with your knife there will be help available to set things right once again and keep you happy with your purchase.
Ontario Air Force Survival Knives
The classic, versatile, reliable Ontario survival knives easily fit in your pocket due to its compact size, though they are not fully-fledged pocket knives. These short knives can tackle multifarious tasks and requires almost no maintenance. The blade I coated with zinc phosphate to inhibit rusting. As the saw teeth blade requires frequent sharpening, you’ll find a built-in sharpener in the sheath for quick and easy sharpening. For maximum edge retention, soak one-third portion of the blade in hot beeswax. Any standard USAF Ontario knife features a high quality black zinc phosphate finish carbon parkerized blade of combo edge. Read below to know the Ontario knives that rocked the market in 2016.
Ontario SP2 Air Force Survival Knife
SP2 air force knife rewrote the history of survival gears and then tore it apart. This gen text combating tool is perfect for sporting and military applications. The frame is composed of a 1095 carbon steel and displays a 5.25” straight edge blade. Use it for fishing, hunting, digging, fire-making or trickier jobs like ropes, live wire, the deep finger grooves will provide a secure grip. The knife comes in a protective leather condura sheath.
Ontario 1400 ASEK Survival Knife System
ASEK stands for Aircrew Survival Egress Knife. This line of product is chiefly used in the air war programs of U.S armed force. Ontario 1400 grabs your attention instantly with its electrically insulated handles with a hole. It enables the user to maneuver the knife as a spear for self-defense purpose. The glass breaker butt increases its effectiveness as a hammer. The knife comes loaded with several add-on features like anodized strap cutter, honing rod, screwdriver, replaceable blade etc.
Ontario ASEK-Aircrew Survival Egress Knife
The revolutionary Ontario ASEK-Aircrew Survival Egress Knife model was used by the U.S army in their air warrior program. If you too wish you find a perfect match to your outdoor skills, Ontario ASEK-Aircrew is the answer for you. The knife will be delivered with an additional strap cutter and a flame retardant nylon sheath. The beautiful blade has a combo of serrated edge and saw teeth on the spine.
The Best Rambo Survival Knife Series
Before Bear Grylls, Rambo was the role model of adventure seeking fellas like me, and he still is. The knife used by the leading character of the First Blood movie series became an overnight superstar along with Sylvester Stallone. Signature Rambo knives were sold like hot cakes as soon as it hit the market. The popularity of these knives hasn’t diminished till date. Master Cutlery was the force behind the production of these classic survival knives. Apart from the standard knife versions, it also manufactured a limited edition John Rambo signature range of survival knives. Although all Rambo knives are unique in it on way, here’s a list of the ones that impressed me immensely:
Rambo II MC-RB2 First Blood Part II
To celebrate the overwhelming success of the legend of Rambo in the box office, Master Cutlery created Rambo style survival knife that replicates the design shown in the movie. The overall length of each knife is 15 inches, made from premium 420 stainless steel blade, RB2 has the trademark saw teeth and hollow handle. For better user experience, the aluminum butt cap of the knife features a precision compass. The manufacturing company has chosen only the best quality material to fabricate the lineage of Rambo.
Rambo I MC-RB1 Hunting Knife
Rambo I MC-RB1 knives are officially licensed and offers certificate of authenticity so that you can keep away from those fake stamped knives plaguing the market. The original miniature Rambo knives have a stamped Rambo logo. It is a signature edition knife, so, you might need to stretch your wallet a bit to afford this mini wonder. The heavy duty construction is mated with a 5.75” stainless steel blade, proudly boasting lasered Sylvester Stallone signature. Any knife collector would be proud to show off a knife like this.
Rambo II MC-RBM2SS Miniature
This knife is a replica of the knife shown used by our rough and tough childhood hero Rambo in First Blood part II. It features a racy, powerful 9 inches long blade for a wide range of application in a crude environment. The cord-wrapped handle gives perfect grip and easy handling. The survival kit comes geared with a hook, a fishing line, matches and a lot more. The 40 stainless steel blade has a thickness of 0.25 inches, making it capable of handling meticulous works.
Rambo 4 Signature Edition Knife
This limited edition Rambo knives is modeled after the machete-like knife used by Stallone in the 4th installment of the First Blood franchise. The knife has been hand crafted and manually sharpened by expert knife makers. The full tang frame of tool is built from 1060 high carbon steel. The masterpiece is housed in a high quality grain leather sheath! If budget permits, grab your today and thank me later!
Wrapping Up the Best Survival Knife Chaos
Your perfect survival knife hunting would remain incomplete without a detailed, insightful knowledge of different kinds of survival knives. Most traders out in the market are waiting to fool the customers in the greed of some extra profit. The best survival knife will be the most appropriate pick for you is contingent upon the environment you’re dealing with and the activities you intend to perform with the knife. Purchasing the best survival knife is not the end of your duty, you need to take care of your survival companion regularly to keep it in prime condition. I hope our best survival knife reviews have helped you in some way or the other in picking the best survival knife for your unique use cases. Stay sharp, be adventurous, happy knifing and definitely happy surviving!